Friday, July 17, 2009

Tennessee here we are! It's been a busy but exciting week. We departed from Michigan last Friday. The drive went well, though leaving wasn't easy. It's my fourth time moving in my life. The first time I moved was when I was in third grade. I remember all the details and memories of leaving my hometown. I kissed my bedroom walls before I left and said farewell to each of my neighborhood friends. We promised each other that we would keep in touch and never forget each other. I haven't forgotten them, however, I haven't kept in good touch with them. My second move was after my Junior year in High School. I didn't want to move. I cried as I packed up my belongings. As I look back, I realize that moving wasn't necessarily my issue. I think the issue was getting ready for the change. I end up having this burning feeling. What will happen after the change? Will I be able to make it? There's always a "what if" in my head. 

I've grown up a bit since then. I took a new approach two months ago when we decided to take the position at Lee University. My new approach sounded a bit like this...
WHAT IF I TRUST IN GOD TO LEAD ME TO MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON WHERE HE WANTS ME TO GO AND NOT WHERE I WANT ME TO GO?
I've learned to trust and obey. Is it easy? Nope. Sure isn't. But I trust that if I continue to do this, my path will become a bit more straight and easier to follow. 
Ok, so here we are. We're moved in. The boxes are no longer crowding the floor and our house is starting to feel more like a home. Payton isn't asking about our "hotel" any longer. I think he feels that this is home too. We had 20+ staff members over to our place last night for a little meet and greet. I am still overwhelmed with the friendly people that surround this state. I keep waiting to meet someone who isn't polite and nice. It just hasn't happened yet. I'm hopeful it never will! The cards, gift bags, gift baskets, letters of encouragement, texts and phone calls have been incredible. Why am I surprised? Overall I've thought extremely positive about this move. There were a few times when I had doubts, but I quickly then remember what this is all about. God had a plan for my family. He offered it to us and we took Him up on it.  He's shown us love through the people who surround us. He's given us a home that we can make our own, and he's shown us that we can still hold on to those we hold dear even though distance separates us. I thank God for memories that I will hold tight to and look forward to our future that is in the making. This verse speaks to me...

“for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)”

1 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, I had no idea you were even moving! What fun! Life is certainly a grand ol' adventure. Home, or at least the feeling of it begins with where your stuff is. With some time invested, home becomes where your heart is. I am sure that in time everything will settle into your new residence, including your heart.

All my best to you and your family,
-Patrick and Katie

Blog Archive