Thursday, February 28, 2008

Well, the day is now over. Thank you for all of the phone calls, emails, and prayers for us as we made the 2 plus hour journey to the University of Michigan. It was an early morning but we had a great start. The boys both napped on the way there and woke up happy to be headed on a road trip in the car. We arrived 15 minutes early as we were told. After 45 minutes of waiting in the room, my Mom asked the Doctor's assistant if we would be helped soon. Keep in mind Hudson had a screaming rampage and Payton was overdue for his afternoon nap during the 45 minute wait. The receptionist said that the Doctor was at a critical spot in surgery and he could be another 45 minutes. We quickly packed up our belongings and headed for the cafe. This took about 45 minutes so we headed back up to hopefully be seen soon. The receptionist approached us and told us again that it could be an addition 45 more minutes because they were having complications in the surgery room. Was this a broken record? This was now the 3rd time she has told us it would be an extra 45 minutes.Patience was drawing thin! Thank goodness my Mom loves my children! Finally, after waiting 3 hours the Doctor came to get us. He apologized for the wait and we quickly got off to talking about Payton. We were sitting in a board room with probably 20 big black chairs around a large conference table. Doctor sat on one side and Mom, Payton, Hudson, and I sat on the other side. Actually, I never sat. I bounced Hudson up and down the entire time. Ok, so here is the news. Doctor Bove certainly recommends that Payton have the surgery. Payton still has one hole in his heart that is sucking his aortic leaflet through the hole. This is causing leakage and strain on his aortic valve. For those of you that don't know, Payton was actually born with two holes and a pulminary artery that was pointed in the wrong direction and too small. Miraculously, the pulminary artery straightened and became large enough to pump the propper amount of blood. This Doctor believes that Payton never had the condition that he was born with because the condition is in-curable without surgery. He said there is NO WAY that Payton's pulminary artery moved on it's own and enlarged. My question... then how did they close? We have film of Payton's heart when he was born (echo-cardiogram). We have paper work stating that he had a condition called Tetrology of Fallot. We have all this evidence that the condition was present and now miraculously things have changed. These imprefections were cured. There are no scars no nothing. Just one remaining hole. How could I ever question how this happened? I can't. I know and it's the God that I believe in and serve that healed them. We will schedule the surgery for sometime in June. We will continue to believe and know that God will heal Payton. Whether it be by miraculous healing or surgery by a Doctor, we will still believe in the plan that God has for Payton's little heart. After the appointment I was feeling a bit discouraged. I was hoping the Doctor would listen to Payton's heart just like his Cardiologist did and tell us that the hole had closed. Instead, this Doctor reviewed past tests and didn't actually administer any tests on the spot. He simply recommended surgery and wanted to discuss a date that would work. While in the car I was thinking about what I had gotten out of the day. I knew that I waited a LONG time and my patience ran thin several times. I thanked God for the opportunity of meeting with the Doctor. I still wasn't feeling at ease though. Something inside was still in need. We stopped for dinner in Lansing. The kids were great and we enjoyed some delicious food. We had finished our meals and my Mom and Payton headed to get the car. Hudson and I waited behind for the to-go boxes. Just then I had this feeling come over me that I needed to share Payton's story with the couple at the table next to us. I wasn't sure just how to strike a conversation with them but I knew I had to. Just then I looked over and told them that we had just come from U of M for a Doctor's appointment for my son. I told them he was born with a conditon that required him to have open heart surgery as an infant. The couple became engaged in my story and seemed as if they wanted to hear more. As I finished my story the lady looked at her husband and smiled. The man looked at me and said "we are pastors in the area". He said that his daughter was born with MS but was cured just one year ago and now has a baby. He said this is my wife here who was insulin dependent for 13 years and was cured last year. He then said I had open heart surgery last year and I am doing fine and your son will be fine as well. Wow, what an amazing conversation. This couple had such an impact on my day. Just when I was losing hope and questioning this surgery, these strangers stepped in and reminded me of the amazing grace of God. Even when it seems He is far, He really is so near. I truly believe God placed this couple in my path for the day. He wanted to remind me that whether or not Payton has surgery, He will keep us all in His care. Gods plan doesn't always look glamorous from the beginning but we can always look back and be thankful for the lessons we've learned.


Dan, Tracy & Gracie said...

Beautiful story Julia, sorry about the long day but so great to know God is working His miracles in this. We will be praying for you all and Peyton as you prepare for the future journey. Loves from us!

the maat family said...

oh julia...what a day! wow. i'm so thankful that God gave you reassurance and hope in the midst of discouragement. He will heal payton. He will. we love you!

Sean, Kelli,Jonah & Laney said...

Julia, I can't even begin to tell you how into this story I was while reading it, you brought tears to my eyes. God is ever present even though we can't always feel him... he is there & Payton is a miracle! We will be praying... please let us know if you need anything.

Blog Archive